Nutrition and Food Services
Get Help from a Dietitian
What is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist?
Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) are the food and nutrition experts. RDNs have special training to offer medical nutrition therapy and work as part of the health care team or Primary Care Aligned Care Team (PACT) in the treatment and prevention of disease. RDNs promote healthy lifestyle choices and create personal nutrition plans for individuals of all ages using a whole health approach. RDNs empower and equip people to take charge of their health and well-being to live their life to the fullest. They are able to separate facts from fads and give you evidenced-based nutrition information that you can use.
RDNs use medical nutrition therapy to:
• Review your personal eating habits and nutrition health
• Explain how your food and lifestyle choices impact your health
• Develop a personalized nutrition plan for you
Top reasons to visit an RDN for medical nutrition therapy:
• You want to eat smarter and include foods that you enjoy into a healthy lifestyle
• You would like help managing diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, or other chronic illnesses
• You have digestive problems
• You have cancer
• You need to gain or lose weight
• You are considering or have had bariatric surgery
How to contact an RDN:
• Call your local VA to schedule an appointment
• Ask your local VA about same day appointment availability
• Ask your VA PACT or health care team for a referral
• Log in to MyHealtheVet and send a Secure Message
Learn more about what an RDN can do for you from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics*†
What is a Dietetic Technician, Registered?
Dietetic Technicians, Registered (DTRs), are trained in food and nutrition and are an integral part of healthcare and foodservice management teams. VA DTRs work under the supervision of RDNs in a variety of settings within the VA such as foodservice, screening patients, and providing nutrition education.
*By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.
†VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Web site.